How to spot a cowboy builder
How do you spot a cowboy builder – we wanted to give you some of the tell-tale signs you’ve hired one and how to avoid them.
If you spot any of the following habits when your builder’s on site, you could end up out of pocket with a poor or even unfinished job, while the cowboy has ridden off into the sunset.
Cowboy builders can ruin a house extension or renovation project, making a large projects with a large budget even more expensive. Of course, finding a reliable builder is key to your home project running smoothly and achieving a result that reflects what you wanted and will last. However (and as we all know too well) not all builders are equally conscientious and professional. If you spot any of the following signs, you may have bagged yourself a cowboy builder – a hazard to your home and your budget.
You can (hopefully) avoid all this though, by finding a reliable builder in the first place.
- A COWBOY BUILDER HAS NO REFERENCES
The builder is cagey about referrals or brushes off requests to see work they have carried out previously. Past jobs are a builder’s CV and satisfied customers are their best reference, so a reliable professional will be more than willing to show off their best work.
- THEY KNOCK AND ASK FOR WORK
Have they just turned up on the doorstep offering to do a quick fix of something they’ve spotted while passing? Or are they spinning a story about having completed some work in the area and have some extra materials they could use for your house. Boy scouts used to come round and ask for a bob a job. This approach by ‘builders’ could result in a bodged job.
- THEIR PRICE IS TOO LOW
If something sounds too good to be true, it generally is. Always source at least three different quotes so you get a good idea of what a job should cost. You don’t want anything collapsing because someone has skimped on the proper materials.
Happily, here at Sherratt Builders we don’t do any of things.
- We are a reputable firm with over 20 years of positive feedback under our belts. You can check out our website, Facebook and of course ask around.
- We will never turn up on your doorstep. More than likely you have approached us, and we will find a mutually convenient time to speak to you and come and see you and go from there.
- We use professional quoting software, a bit like quantity surveying, to ensure that we quote accurately and fairly. It won’t be too good to believe, it will be honest.
If you’re planning a project and want to discuss it with us, we always offer no obligation quotes. Please call us on 01743 791815 or 07786 268435 or email firstname.lastname@example.org